"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Monday, December 20, 2010

N. China - Day 3, Part 2 - Taishan: Base-Halfway Gate to Heaven

"Die? I should say not, dear fellow. No Barrymore would allow such a conventional thing to happen to him." - John Barrymore, last words

***

N. China
Day 3 - 1st November - Taishan: Base-Halfway Gate to Heaven
(Part 2)

Dai Miao had been too interesting, so I was behind schedule in my plan to mount Taishan. Admittedly I'd given myself a lot of time (at least 7 hours), so I wouldn't really have to rush, but I still wanted to be safe.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
I'm sure he's never even heard of Taishan.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"提 La 米酥. Tiramisu"
Presumably "提拉米酥" didn't sound as nice.

As I was walking from Dai Miao to the start of the route, a woman in a specially-marked car (marking it as part of a tourist service) drove by and offered to give me a lift to the Red Gate (the start of the route). Naturally, there would be a charge for it. I tried to knock the price down but she was firm - presumably it's a standard price for all these cars.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Taishan welcome plaque

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Start of the road - naturally, I was greeted by shops

I checked out the Guan Di temple.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Chong Ning Hall: Why the red face?

Guan Di temple was charming, but I was behind time so I pressed ahead.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Assorted crap. My walking stick was very pro - it was collapsible.

One shopkeeper tried to sell me a stick for 2¥. I told him "No thanks, I have a stick already"; "拐杖" is one of the very useful words I've learnt from Jin Yong. I did get one of the cheesy red headbands for 1¥ (though no one wore them, so I didn't either)

There was an American heading up also. I engaged him in conversation and found that he was a marathon runner from New York, so this would be no sweat for him. Once I found out this out, I told him that "I'm going to take photos" (I really did!) and let him press on ahead.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
First gate to Heaven

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The first gate has something to do with Confucius mounting something (presumably an elaborate word for the mountain)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The Red Gate

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Path to another temple I did not take

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Desolate rocks

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
People in the woods below

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Rocks with words

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"悠悠森林情,寸寸防火心
Air is dry and woods are inflammable. Please do not use fire"

It sounds better in Mandarin (I didn't know some of the characters, but it's a common fire slogan online so the phrase was easily found).

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Woman whacking mop at river

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Zuixin River

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Communist monument

Only after I'd walked for almost half an hour did I encounter the ticket booth.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
10,000 Immortals Tower

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Weather forecast

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Ticket prices. Notice that off season is a ridiculous 2 months (December-January), and that insurance is only twice the price of that at Dai Miao. I don't trust their insurance underwriting. Also, they charged me 2¥ more than the prices listed there, gah. On the upside, your ticket also serves as a pre-stamped postcard.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Revolutionary Martyrs Monument

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The obligatory vendors - they sure do make life better, even if you lose some charm. I stopped for a bite.


The making of a Shandong Bing (Chinese crêpe)

An egg is cracked and cooked on a carbohydrate-based skin. A raw spring onion is added, as is a bean sauce. A sausage (!) is then added to the mixture, which is wrapped up.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
My bing (4¥). The spring onion was VERY hot, and impossible to bite off in one bite - so I had to eat the whole spring onion at the start.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
He begged for some

It was alost noon, but cocks were still crowing. Who came up with the idea that they crow with the sunrise?!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
IIRC this was fried radish

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The way that lay ahead after my meal snack

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Stone with words on it. The house behind makes it less Romantic.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Living beside Taishan

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Rocks with words were a common sight along the route

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Cliff inscriptions on joint surfaces" - apparently you don't do your calligraphy on raw rock, but must wait for it to split. Incidentally, Taishan is also a Geopark so it's not just Human heritage there but Natural as well.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Chickens

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Hot bubble tea was a strange thing to see advertised

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
This gate marked the Doumu Palace - "the only Buddhist temple in the middle axis of Mount Taishan"

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Doumu Palace


Probably due to the lack of truly religious (as opposed to occasionally religious) people in China, many temples played religious music. Doumu Palace was where I first encountered this tune, which I heard in a few other places throughout China.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Stele

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Statue

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Locks on incense brazier

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Another statue

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Sleeping-dragon Pagodatree"


Sleeping Dragon Pagoda Tree

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
More crap on sale

One of my guidebooks said that if I walked 1km I would find a rock with a Buddhist sutra inscribed on it. That sounded too far so I decided to ignore it. I did see a sign pointing out a sight 300m away though.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Rocks

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Vegetable garden on the mountain, and cock

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
More rocks

I found out that this 300m diversion had led me to the Diamond Sutra after all. There was something wrong with the distances specified either in the book or on the signs on the mountain. I was inclined to think it was the latter since the paths seemed longer than they were supposed to be, but that was probably due to fatigue and inclination.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Diamond Wisdom Sutra" from 1,400 years ago


View of Diamond Sutra rocks

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
White Cock. You will notice a woman holding one of the cheesy red headbands - but she didn't wear it.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Wood

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Wood and inscription

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Feng'an Stele" dedicated to Sun Yat-Sen

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Dried Lingzhi - the vendor said it was to bring home. That didn't really make sense - people would only buy such stuff at the end of their journey (presumably)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"100 year old stick"

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Many vendors sold this vegetable (presumably a sort of cucumber). I didn't trust the water.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Fallen tree

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Four Scholar Trees". Presumably the fallen tree was the last of them.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Taishan Daughter Tea - the authentic taste". It's called that because young girls used to pick and prepare the tea.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"灌瓶壹元"
The vendor said this was potable, but I didn't have a Chinese stomach, so I decided not to risk the 1¥/bottle water.

Incidentally, I have just learnt that the "壹" character means "one", and is: "an elaborate form of "one", used in writing cheques etc to prevent mistakes and forgery". Presumably there's a way of preventing "two" from becoming "three". Or maybe the prospect of a 50% loss (as opposed to 100%) is not sufficient to motivate the creation of a new Chinese character.

At this point, I decided that I needed aid. There were no porters, so for the second time in my life I called on the Forces of Darkness and bought a 10¥ can of Red Bull.

The first time I'd had Red Bull, it'd zombified me - pulling me back from the Realm of the Drowsy, so I was present in body but not in spirit. Here, since my problem was not sleepiness it did give me a boost of energy - which lasted me all of, oh, 66 steps. Since the mountain had 6,600 steps, it meant that I'd have needed... 100 cans of Red Bull to climb it at full speed. Which probably would've given me a heart attack.

What I *really* needed was wings to fly up the mountain. I asked the vendor, and he said that ad wasn't screened in China.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Huitian Pavilion

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Statuettes for sale

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
This gate marks the point at which an Emperor had to get off his horse and get onto a sedan chair, as the horses refused to proceed any further.

Another guy I met on the way up thought I was Cantonese.

People kept asking me to pay my respects to Buddha (read: Buy Their Incense). I should've told them: "我自为毛主席烧香" ("I only burn incense for Chairman Mao")

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
River and cliff

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Red Tree. I speculated that when people gave up climbing the mountain they hung their lucky headbands here. I told someone that later and got told my theory was wrong :(

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Mountainside

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The sight that told me I was almost at the Halfway Gate to Heaven - where I could take a break (and decide whether I would give up and take the cable car!)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Another temple just outside the Halfway Gate to Heaven

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Halfway Gate to Heaven

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Horseplay at the Halfway Gate to Heaven. Maybe the climb got them frisky.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Closed shrine

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
At first I thought the white spots was ash from the incense burnt at the many temples at the Halfway Gate to Heaven. Then I realised they were flying creatures. UGH.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Mountainside view

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The smart people take the cable car

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Middle Gate to Heaven

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Bus station for buses from the base
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes